Date:      16 Feb 2002 15:44:27 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla plugin and native JDK 1.3.1p6.

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 14:34, Jeremy Lea wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:23:20PM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> > Did you compile Mozilla with debugging enabled?  I have seen this
> > error occur consistently whenever I tried compileing Mozilla with
> > debugging enabled, but disappear whenever I turn off debugging.  It is
> > very frustrating, as I was trying to track down a plugin error on the
> > Mozilla side, but this error prevented the oji plugin from loading, so
> > I was never able to debug it.
>
> Yes, because I was trying to debug it too...  Oh well, it looks like
> this has all taken me down a long path, involving lots of compiling, and
> it appears at the moment that my problem is simple.  Java isn't using a
> proxy server...  Anyone know how to tell the plugin about my proxy?

The proxy bug in the plugin is the last bug we fixed before releasing
patchset 6.  The problem, if you want to know, is that
nsProxyHostImpl::FindProxyForURL returns a bad error code for *direct*
connections, but returns the correct code for *proxy* connections.  Greg
Lewis specifically tested with proxies set up in Mozilla to verify that
the code works.  I wanted to trace the erring function to find out why
it returned the error code for direct connections, but could not get the
debugging mozilla to get past the loading of the oji plugin.

Anyway, if anyone out there knows how to fix this stupid error, it would
really help us with the debugging of some sticky bugs here.  The way
that we worked around the bug is that if FindProxyForURL returns an
error, we treat the connection as direct.  That means that if you have
valid proxies set up in mozilla, it should still use them correctly.
The manifestation of the bug we were trying to fix is the inability to
load applet code for direct connections.

/Joe