Date:      29 May 2002 03:39:09 +0200
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bob Van Valzah <Bob@BGPBook.Com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>, freebsd-doc <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Capitalization (was: Minor 'historic' flaw in FreeBSD article "Bootstrapping Vinum")

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 01:58, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> > It looks like I can be blamed for the gratuitous capitalization in
> > the article.  With the embedded capital letter in my surname, I
> > probably have a natural tendency to over capitalize :-)
>
> Well, as I said, I don't have a problem with the capitalization.  But
> I'm curious that you write your name "Van Valzah".  It looks vaguely
> Dutch, but there they'd write it "van Valzah".

Would they? :)

I don't think there's any official consensus about this matter. If you
follow the grammatical rules it should be 'van', without capital, but then
you presume given names are subject to those rules. I for one don't agree.

Names are names. They don't change, spelling rules don't apply to them,
and if those rules change (like they did for the Dutch language a few
years back), this has no effect on a person's name. In _my_ opinion. ;)

  Wouter Van Hemel

(which actually means 'Wouter From Heaven', so if I would follow the rules
of Dutch spelling, I would have to write my last name 'hemel' without
captial too? 'Wouter van hemel' surely doesn't make any sense...)