Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2003 02:14:49 -0800
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        DougB@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   additional thoughts on xscreensaver

Hi all,

I was just thinking....

there are two port entries for xscreensaver.  I feel Doug is perfectly
right about the PAM issue when it comes to the standard port.  Yet, for
xscreensaver-gnome I think it makes more sense to compile it with PAM.
The biggest reason being consistency.  Since gdm is compiled with PAM,
the password mechanism for the screensaver should work in the same
manner.  It would be frustrating to users of Gnome to log in without a
problem, lock the screen, then not be able to log back in.  This could
happen and not just because of LDAP.

As far as testing goes, I have the following configuration:

FreeBSD-CURRENT
up-to-date ports
PAM configuration with pam_ldap and nss_ldap

It works well with an account defined within LDAP or in /etc/passwd.

I am, however, not able to unlock the screen with the root password as
described in the man page.  Is this deprecated behavior?  If not, I'll
investigate further.

Cheers,
Sean