Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:25:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Holm Tiffe <freebsd@magnet.geophysik.tu-freiberg.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SIO problems since long time ago..

Hi all,

first, for the commiters, there funny is a typo in sio.c from
-current at line 207:

>/* com device structure */
>struct com_s {
>        u_int   id_flags;       /* Copy isa device falgas */
>        u_char  state;          /* miscellaneous flag bits */

:-) what the heck is a "falga" ?

now to my problem:

I have different serial boards equipped with TL16C550AN's,
an AST4 Port compatible card and an normally 2S1P board
all with the same chips. (I've changed a lot 16450 to this
chips)
These are original Texas Instruments chips.

My old 486DX280 EISA board has had first the 2S1P board installed
and crashed frequently on an close from the modem port (uucp or seyon)
it simply froze.
I've changed the board to the AST4 comatible, the problem was'nt gone.
(I was thinking this was mainboard related)
Now I've had upgarded the system to an ASUS P2B-LS PII/350 and the
problem persists!

The AST4 board was before in my home machine (dual P54 , ASUS PCI/E
P54NP4E) and there was no problem at all.

Could this behavior be chip related ?
There is a flag in sio.c , COM_LOSESOUTINTS, can this be related to
this problem ? Should I change the chips ? (uh, resoldering)

Holm