Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:47:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ACPI "blacklist" question

Hello,

I have recently updated a machine to 7-stable.
ACPI doesn't seem to work correctly on this machine.
With earlier versions of FreeBSD (including the latest
RELENG_6), I got this line in dmesg:

   ACPI disabled by blacklist.  Contact your BIOS vendor.

And everything was fine.  The box runs perfectly well
with ACPI disabled.  (I can't get a BIOS update because
the mainboard is too old.)

When I updated to RELENG_7 a few days ago, the above line
did _not_ appear anymore, and the machine didn't proceed
to boot, so I had to travel to the console.  :-(
After disabling ACPI manually via boot.conf hint, it is
up and running fine again.

Now i'm wondering:   Has the ACPI blacklist been removed
intentionally, or is this a regression?  Certainly I did
not find any mentioning of it in UPDATING or anywhere
else.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  This is a Gigabyte GA-6BXD board with two Celeron-466
processors on it.  Apart from not wanting ACPI it is rock-
solid, and I expect it to be in production for DNS, packet
filtering, mail backup and small web server for at least
another 10 years.

"anyone new to programming should be kept as far from C++ as
possible;  actually showing the stuff should be considered a
criminal offence" -- Jacek Generowicz