Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 07:30:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCO Unix vrs. FreeBSD

> Hello, I want to know why a License for SCO Unix cost that much and FreeBSD
> is FREE?

	Because SCO Unix is/was made by a bunch of guys out to make
money. Hence the word 'commercial.'

> It is better? More things to do with?

	From my view point, no. FreeBSD supports a heck of a lot more.
Granted I've not used SCO for a while. (Is it even commerically available
anymore?)

> We are a ISP that uses FreeBSD in our servers, but other ISP tell people
> that we use free downloaded software form the Internet, and since that how
> can we provide security or stability. I know FreeBSD is good, very good I
> like it a lot. They also say 'why you don't buy a "real" Unix software, like
> those you pay for?'.

	Pretty simple, point to them www.yahoo.com and www.cdrom.com Two
of the busiet web sites/ftp servers in the world. Both run FreeBSD. It's
a simple matter of taste and what runs for you best. Your competitors are
spreading disinformation either through argonance or ignorance. Besides,
every version of UNIX is developed from a 'free' software. Tell your
customers that you use FreeBSD because support is free, it's supported by
hundreds if not thousands of profesionals through this list, and in the
long run it keeps your costs down which allows you to provide more
features, scalibility and security for your customers.

					Rick