Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 01:18:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie@cablespeed.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New File system to commit to FreeBSD

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie@cablespeed.com> [020505 20:13] wrote:
> > 3.  OpenVMS and ODs-2 keep record attributes and embedded meta-data in
> > the regular file data.  I've been writing some utility programs that
> > understand the meta-data, like "ods2_cat" and "ods2_cp".  Also, some
> > work has progressed on an RMS library.  Should and how are such things
> > committed?
>
> This sounds like quite a suite of utilities, my _guess_ is that
> the FS code could/would be committed to FreeBSD, but the utilities
> to manipulate the FS (ods2_cat, ods2_cp) would go into a port.

You could either hack into the namespace, or you could provide
an fcntl() that gets passed down to the FS for an open descriptor,
to turn these utilities tiny, and incorporate most of the code into
the FS itself (you are much better off doing this, if you can, since
it means that the facilities won't be "lost" into a port for which
FTP services will have to be maintained in perpetuity).

Right now, since FreeBSD doesn't propagate namespace selection
information from the POSIX namespsace escape down properly, you
would have to hack it to operate on a per component basis (not
as bad as you might imagine, but still an annoying thing to have
to do), so for my money, an fcntl() would be the best approach.

-- Terry