Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 1999 13:39:58 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: cdevsw_add

In message <Pine.GSO.3.95q.990605113837.15420Q-100000@elect8>, Nick Hibma writes:
> > >While on the topic: Who is working on devfs and why not?
> >
> > I'm not currently working on devfs, but I am building the infrastructure
> > it should be based on in the kernel.
>
>Anymore information available on where you are with this?

I currently have a kernel running where dev_t is a pointer to a
"struct dev" and where char and block devs are collapsed at the
dev_t level.  There are some bogons i need to fumigate, but I'm
off to give a course in Stockholm much of this coming week, so
don't expect any commits just now.  (I may actually postpone/abandon
this step for now, since some of the changes pulls rugs away which
cover what looks to me like holes in the floor).

Next is to integrate the dev_t anti-aliasing and vnode anti-aliasing
code.

When I have that bit down and done, the next step is for device
drivers to register individual dev_t's rather than blanket cdevsw
entries.  The later ability will be retained for pseudo drivers
and other (pseudo)magic.

This registration will look pretty much like the current #ifdef'ed
DEVFS stuff, and in addition it will allow the driver to hang two
fields of the dev_t, typically a pointer to the struct softc and
maybe a unit number or something.  This will obsolete all of
the magic minor -> {unit|softc} converters in our drivers and
make the "NFOO" configuration obsolete.

That is, as such the end of this little project, and where a future
DEVFS could take off from.  Basically all that is needed for a DEVFS
to do, is to hook into the dev_t maintenance code and construct
the directory tree.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!