Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:45:25 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   A couple ports for Apache::CodeRed and Apache::Nimda mod_perl modules

Hey all.  I hope this isn't too far OT, but I just finished working up
a couple ports for the Nimda and CodeRed worm handlers.

Truth be told, these could probably be merged/modified/whatever into a
single module that just handled all MS based virii/hack attempts/whatever.
Of course there would need to be some reworking of the addresses to
report these hits to in this case, but . . .

Regardless, I am still seeing a good number of these hits myself, and
thought someone else out there might want to report their own hits to
get the abuse authorities to realize that there are still a slew of
systems out there that are infected.

I have not yet submitted these ports to FreeBSD, but I will shortly.
Frankly, I don't think the worms will be around in force for too much
longer, so I see no reason to make them a long term part of the ports
tree.  Maybe the general MS crap reporter would be appropriate,
though.

Anyway, if you are interested in the ports, find them at
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/Nimda/

I welcome any and all suggestions for improving my porting skills, as
well as suggestions for some kind of MS-BS handler.  One suggestion
already presented includes use of the Whois module to better target
network authorities that may have influence on the owners of infected
systems.  I like that idea, though even these addresses are out of
date sometimes.

Availability may be spotty over the next couple days due to the happy
fact that I am going to be running my new system into place (finally
moving from Linux to FreeBSD!).

--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Boob's Law:
  You always find something in the last place you look.