Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:30:01 GMT
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/177985: [zfs] disk usage problem when copying from one zfs dataset to another on the same pool using mv command

The following reply was made to PR kern/177985; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To: Jon <sybersnake@gmail.com>
Cc: "bug-followup@FreeBSD.org" <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: kern/177985: [zfs] disk usage problem when copying from one zfs
 dataset to another on the same pool using mv command
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:25:40 +0300

 on 20/04/2013 22:49 Jon said the following:
 > This is not a bug, it is a workflow problem introduced by the difference in
 > behavior between ZFS datasets and fixed sized file systems.
 >
 > You should be able to move files from one dataset to another on the same pool
 > without having to copy it to another pool and back.

 You lost me at 'another pool'.

 Perhaps moving an object from one zfs dataset to another could be optimized,
 but...  That would definitely require zfs-specific tools.  It is not implemented
 in the code yet, as far as I know.

 > This all can be
 > accomplished by deleting copied files more often than it currently does or at
 > least adding a flag to turn on synchronized deletes.

 No, it can not be accomplished that way, because it would violate how mv(1)
 across filesystems works.  Perhaps it's indeed the time to read the man page?

 > After I am done testing the same scenario on Solaris I will run the test
 > Steve suggested.

 Yes, please do.  Personal experience is always more enlightening that someone
 else's words.

 --
 Andriy Gapon