Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:10:08 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Clark Gaylord <cgaylord@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-learning bridge for pathological network

Clark Gaylord wrote:

> I am interested in creating a pathological lab network with the
> following forwarding rules:
>  - three networks (A,B,C)
>  - packets from A or C are forwarded to B
>  - packets from B are forward to both A and C
>
> I was thinking of using BRIDGE+ipfw to create this by hacking
> bridge.c so that all dsts are UNKNOWN, then filtering via ipfw by
>   deny ip from A to C
>   deny ip from C to A
>
> Seems like this would work, but I was wondering what others' thoughts
> might be on this approach.  Perhaps BRIDGE could have a (compile-time?)
> non-learning flag so that all packets get forwarded as if they are
> UNKNOWN.
>
> Oh, btw, I also want tcpdump to work on any of these interfaces. ;-)
>
> Thanks.
> Clark
> cgaylord@vt.edu
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> Clark K. Gaylord
> Blacksburg, Virginia USA
> cgaylord@vt.edu

use the netgraph bridgeing. (see the ng_bridge man page and
the /usr/share/examples/netgraph  documents)

it can be loaded as modules so if you really want to
you can 'hack' up your own ng-bridge module that does whatever you
want, and load that instead.

of course tcpdump still works too..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer