Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:03:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
To:        Not Going to Tell You <luckywolf19@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security on FreeBSD

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Not Going to Tell You wrote:

> We would like to have a script written that removes all files not needed for
> a FreeBSD server. Does anyone know a place that has a list of which files
> are associated with which program?

i'd reccomend installing FreeBSD with the "minimal" settings.   then cvsup
to the RELENG_4_3 branch,  copy /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf

Flavor the new /etc/make.conf to your taste.  make world,  and then follow
the FreeBSD-security mailing list.   instead of deleting all "uneeded"
binaries,  I'd leave them in place,  just remove setuid and setgid from
them.

compilers and etc are good to have,  especially when building world due to
a recent exploit or vulnerability.

Just my two cents,  with the current rate of inflation,  it's nothing.

Jeff Palmer
scorpio@drkshdw.org