Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 02:41:26 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help duplicating data CD's with burncd

	I have a new (to me) HP CD-Writer Plus 2x IDE burner that I got as a
hand-me-down, and I'd like to be able to duplicate CD's with it. I have
successfully created a CD from the FreeBSD ISO image of 4.3-Release, and
I've used mkisofs and burncd to copy a file hierarchy from my hard disk to
the cd; so I know the burner does the right thing with good input.

	My research on the lists indicated that the proper way to generate an ISO
image from a cd is:

dd if=/dev/acd0c of=test.iso bs=2k

Which works, and consistently writes out the same number of bytes. The
problem comes when I mount the ISO image and compare it to the contents of
the disc I'm trying to duplicate. Just to test I'm using a Joliet format
disc full of logitech mouse drivers for windows, whose main virtue is that
it contains only 68M of data so it makes a nice test. When I mount the ISO
and diff -ur the mounted image and the mounted cd, I get errors in various
files, sometimes the same files, sometimes different ones. Usually they are
binary files, but I suspect that's because almost all the files on the disc
are compressed. The few times that I got diffs in the text files, it was
generally a character dropped from the copy. I know the source disc is
clean because I used it in windows to load my mouse drivers. I tried
different block sizes for the dd command as well, all powers of 2, but
still no joy.

	Any suggestions on where to look next would be welcome. I tried doing
'burncd -s 2 -f /dev/acd01c data /dev/acd0c fixate' (where acd0c is the
regular cd drive, and acd1 is the burner) but that just bought me my first
coaster. Any other ideas?

Doug
--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough.