Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2018 11:42:04 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   No X11 output with vlc, what changed?

I recently updated my system in the past two days, both the OS and all ports to the latest
level:

FreeBSD tavion.austin.ibm.com 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #6 r336172: Tue Jul 10 13:24:20 CDT 2018     bob@tavion.austin.ibm.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/TAVION  amd64

and now when I run vlc it no longer displays its output via X11, just does
command line output/input.

I have been running vlc with the following command:

vlc-wrapper /Media

for a long time (years) and it displayed in an X11 window with the cover art and various
control buttons. Now all I get is this:

bob@tavion:33 /home/bob> vlc-wrapper /Media
VLC media player 2.2.8 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.7-14-g3cc1d8cba9)
[0000000800ebe050] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 6.0.0
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[0000000801647090] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.2.8 Weatherwax
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.

The tracks play but I don't get the X11 window output. What am I missing here?
Been scratching my head and google searching but keep coming up empty handed.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | Isn't air travel wonderful?
bob@immure.com | Breakfast in London, dinner in New York,