Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:59:13 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blanket portmgr approval vs. non-fixing changes

Am 27.06.2016 um 18:07 schrieb Cy Schubert:

> Mathias,

Cy,

Mind the double t please.

> I'm surprised at your position. I recall a commit you made to one of my=
=20
> ports a few years ago, to which I objected. Your position now is a comp=
lete=20
> reversal of your arguments then.

Quite possible.  Things and views change over time.  My day job has
changed (a few years ago already -- I've been working for a car part
supplier for the past almost five years), personal life has changed a
bit (less radically), and with it my experience and a sense of how I
priorize matters.

Some matters I would have found "urgent" earlier now lost this
attribute, and I figured that more haste often means more work to clear
up some unintended mess, and I value sustainability higher. "Touch
things less often."   I know some people subscribe to "release early,
release often" to get improvements deployed, and I'll consider that to
some extent, but not if it goes at the expense of quality or raises the
release efforts [1] beyond reason.

[1] this includes dealing with PRs, committing to ports, and similar.

[Which reminds me I still need to see to getting the self-tests for
sysutils/e2fsprogs sorted so that I can commit the upgrade to 1.43.1.
We've skipped 1.43 deliberately because it had a few regressions that
Ted Ts'o and I have sorted out before 1.43.1.]