Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:57:41 +0100
From:      "Loris Degioanni" <loris@netgroup-serv.polito.it>
To:        "Michael T. Stolarchuk" <mts@off.off.to>
Cc:        <tcpdump-workers@tcpdump.org>, <ethereal-dev@ethereal.com>, <snort-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <tech@openbsd.org>
Subject:   R: [tcpdump-workers] Re: R: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Fwd: kyxtech: freebsd outsniffed by wintendo !!?!?

-----Messaggio Originale-----
Da: Michael T. Stolarchuk <mts@off.off.to>
A: Fulvio Risso <risso@polito.it>
Cc: <opentrax@email.com>; <dr@kyx.net>; <tcpdump-workers@tcpdump.org>;
<ethereal-dev@ethereal.com>; <snort-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>;
<freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>; <tech@openbsd.org>; <mts@off.off.to>
Data invio: marted́ 12 dicembre 2000 17.22
Oggetto: [tcpdump-workers] Re: R: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Fwd: kyxtech:
freebsd outsniffed by wintendo !!?!?

> typical buffer sizes for bpf these days are still 32K,
> One could then say that if you up the buffer sizes to (2) 512M
buffers,
> you'd get much better results, but the actual results are kinda
suprising....
> you may/may not get better performance...
> by increasing the buffer size, you incur a longer kernel copy of
> the buffer's out into user space.  In short bursts, the performance
> may be better, but under long heavy loads, you could get *more*
> packet loss...

I think this is not a satisfactory explanation. I am not a freebsd guru
but, as far as I know, bpfread is invoked during normal scheduling,
while bpf_tap is called by the NIC driver, therefore I suppose during an
interrupt. I am sure this is the situation in Windows. This means that
the tap has always higher priority and is not influenced by the copy, so
having huge buffers is not a problem, because the copy is always
interrupted by the arrival of a new packet. Can anyone confirm/refute
this behavior in freebsd?

> even so, 32K is abysmal... and changing it, to, say, 128K may
> be a much better alternative...

I agree.

> ----------
> don't discount this article and its measurements...
> ----------
>

> i was asked some serious questions about sniffing by some
> microsoft developers...  The people i talked to were
> very serious about doing good analysis of sniffing performance.
> This is another example of a similar analysis, and i do belive
> the results...  i do not think they are skewed, but i would
> have liked a bit more information about the bpf which was
> used (for example, what were the buffer sizes which
> were used, do you have more information about how
> system resources were consumed?)
>
> But i'll also point out that there ARE several platforms in
> existance today which use non-windows platforms and get very
> good sniffing results.

I am sure of this. But very few provide a detailed analysis of the
performance. Our test gives precise numbers, which can be contested, but
not without other numbers.

> Even so, i'd like to know whether the  `wintendo' sniffing
> is done without ever doing any context switches; ie: much
> of the bpf cost in doing sniffing arised out of the need to
> isolate the process spaces from the kernel spaces...  if you
> don't have the same isolation, you lose safety, but gain
> performance.

`wintendo' sniffing is done in a way very similar to the one of BPF.
With the same buffer size, the number of context switches is
approximatly the same.

Loris.