Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 12:18:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user uses xv3.10a (PNG) to halt my system.

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Unknow User wrote:

> a) My system is 2.2.8Stable, where can i get a updated list about patch
> to this system?

Try cvsup. It's documented in the handbook.

> b) I have installed xv 3.10a (PNG), but my system has got freezed by
> running this software! So now, a user(i don't know which) have being
> stopping my system.

How do you know it is xv? It's more likely you're running into a problem with
the system, not triggered by xv at all. You're correct that a user application
shouldn't be able to do this, and given the lack of any other reports about
this problem I doubt it is in your case either.

Kris

-----
"That suit's sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that's been
rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into
someone's eye"
"Wow, that's sharp!" - Ace Rimmer and the Cat, _Red Dwarf_