Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:02:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        brian william wolter <bwolter@linux.thesadmachine.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot menu and multiple drives

brian william wolter <bwolter@linux.thesadmachine.org> types:
> > will I have to go into the BIOS each time I want to swich OSes and
> > change the boot disk order?
> yes you should be able to do that without a problem... i, however have had
> quite a few problems with the freebsd boot manager and prefer to use lilo
> (the LInux LOader)... but it *should* be able to do it and hopefully you
> will have better luck than i did.

You also *have* to have Windows on the first disk, or Windows won't
boot. This is a Windows problem.

Personally, I use grub (it's in the ports) for such things, as it can
remap drives so that Windows thinks it's on the first drive even when
it isn't.

> as a side note, i wasn't aware you could have scsi and ATA drives in the
> same box... interesting.

I get the impression it's fairly common these days. IDE drives are so
blasted *cheap*, and the real performance issues for one drive have
been fixed. So people throw a big IDE drive into a SCSI system as a
backup device, or MP3 storage, or whatever. I did that until I decided
I needed the IRQ more than I needed the storage.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.