Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:06:47 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 7-CURRENT-SNAP009-i386-bootonly.iso on Shuttle XPC w/ AMD X2 (was Re: Side note on Shuttle XPC)

On Friday 18 November 2005 07:18 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :So the amd64 snapshot didn't boot but the i386 one did?  Interesting.
> :Thanks a lot for investigating this.
> :
> :Scott
>
>     Yup.  My guess is that the 64-bit boot issue that early in the boot
>     sequence is something stupid simple.  It looks it from the consistency
>     of the crash.

Actually, your comments about the stray ICU interrupts led me to it on the =
way=20
home tonight.  Peter has a hack in amd64 that if you don't include 'device=
=20
atpic' in your kernel config (not in GENERIC amd64 by default in HEAD) he=20
just masks the PICs.  However, he doesn't setup handlers for the spurious=20
interrupts that can still occur (since they are unmaskable).  Couple that=20
with the fact that HEAD (until a few hours ago) didn't print the trap messa=
ge=20
for a T_RESERVED trap, and you'll see that your panic on amd64 was caused b=
y=20
a spurious ICU interrupt.  I have part of peter's hack expanded to do a ful=
l=20
reset of the ICUs, and I'll update it for Monday to adjust the base interru=
pt=20
such that the spurious ICU vectors get sent to the APIC spurious interrupt=
=20
vector.  That should fix your issue as well as the same issue reported by=20
someone else on the amd64@ list recently.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org