Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:49:19 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        tinguely@plains.nodak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, chris@mail.bb.cc.wa.us, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFILTER

In some mail from Mark Tinguely, sie said:

> >  <deleted> but ftp DATA commands never worked and it
> >  crashed the machine a few times.  Socks, cached and ppp -alias are all far
> >  superior !
>
> a ftp proxy (such as one that comes with the FWTK) is needed. Also do not
> unload the ip-filter lkm if there is an active network address translation;
> it will panic the machine.

Fixed that bug, unless you mean unloading it while wunning ipmon (which I
hear will cause a panic but that's also an OS issue).

Let me explain that a bit more.  Under SunOS4 if I "modload if_ipl.o" then
run "ipmon", background it. "modunload -i <ipfilter>", go back to "ipmon"
and ^C that, SunOS4 panics.

Under FreeBSD 2.1.5, that doesn't happen, but under newer versions of
FreeBSD I am told it does.

Darren