Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:26:30 -0500
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@homenet>
To:        alchemy@inconnect.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: e-mail w/dynamic IPs

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 10:43:06PM +0000, alchemy@inconnect.com wrote:
> The big problem I'm having is with only certain domains (FreeBSD.org is one of
> them).  Whenever I send e-mail to these domains, I always end up with a message
> from Mailer-Daemon saying that magus.inconnect.com must resolve.  Obviously,
> this is currently impossible (but may become possible in the future).  So, to
> compose e-mail to these domains, I have to rlogin to inconnect.com, invoke a
> mailx (or pine or whatever) process, compose the e-mail, and send it off.

You can stop sendmail from guessing your hostname by defining the
"j" macro.  In your /etc/sendmail.cf, add a line such as this one:

   Djmail.iconnect.com

Of course, this is a lie but not too far from the truth.  Also,
it is probably more useful than some random IP number especially
if your account names on inconnect.com and your FreeBSD machine are
the same.

See also /usr/share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/paper.ascii.gz section
5.2.  You'll be glad you did!

Have fun,
Aaron