Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:19:49 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patched openssh

"Jacques A. Vidrine" writes:
>Did you remove /usr/ports before extracting ports.tar.gz?

	No I did not.  After you asked the question, I did and it
appears that the build worked this time.  I did see one warning
at the end of the build which reported:

gzip -cn /usr/ports/security/openssh/work/ssh/sftp/../sftp.1 > sftp.1.gz
===> scard
uudecode /usr/ports/security/openssh/work/ssh/scard/Ssh.bin.uu
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/ports/security/openssh/work/ssh/scard

	That is the last line printed.

	This brings up another question.  Why did leaving the old
ports distribution ruin the new one?  When you unpack a tar ball,
any file with the same name as an older one clobbers the older
file so the only things left from previous distributions would be
files that aren't used in the new distribution so they certainly
will waste space, but What could have hung around from the old
stuff that polluted the new build?

	Should the new sshd work with the same old keys we are
now using?  I have a bunch of automated processes that would at
least temporarily break if I had to remake keys or the system key
changed.