Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:45:38 -0500
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Soundcard with SPDIF input?

Hi. I'm looking for a PCI interface soundcard with SPDIF
input that is supported by FreeBSD.

Specifically, I'd need S/PDIF coaxial input via RCA connector.
(Not fiber via TOSLINK, but if it also has that, that's a bonus.)

I'd like to use the card to capture the digital PCM (plain old
two channel 16bit/44.1kHz audio) coming off the device over
S/PDIF and then encode it losslessly to FLAC.

Any suggestions on the card? The path is all digital so
as long as it's supported it should do fine.

And what software do I use to grab the stream off the card?
It seems like it might be a different thing than using the
card to digitize a line level audio input.

Once I have the PCM (now converted by the card to WAV data?)
in a file I can of course use FLAC to compress it. I'm used to
ripping from my CD's, not from external audio devices. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF