Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:26:04 +0800
From:      Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan_junaidi@yahoo.com.sg>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting from a CD-ROM

Hello all,

  I can't search the archives for a solution. I thought I give this list a try.

  WinXP  screwed  me last night and I'm forced to reinstall it. I totally forgot
  that  I  already  have  a FreeBSD installation on it and realized only after I
  installed it that I would not be able to boot if off because WinXP MBR had already
  overridden it with its own. I don't have floppy on this system, only CD-ROM.

  I notice there's an option "boot: " I assume, for selecting kernel after booting
  off   from a FreeBSD CD. How do I make use of the option? Do I need to include
  the specific disk and slice. I have 3 disks da0, da1 and ad0 according to BIOS
  ordering. FreeBSD stays in da1 and the kernel resides at /kernels/kernel-new. I
  read   from   the   handbook that boot2 stage spawns off loader or boot3 stage
  depending  on the parameters. Also it explains up until unload and set kernel,
  if   possible  I  want to use loader because I've done a few customizations in
  loader.conf which I don't know how to make it out without using a loader.

  Thanks in advance.

--
Thank you for your time,
Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim