Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 96 08:36 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        ache@astral.msk.su, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: ATTENTION to CD driver authors (matcd, scd)

[0](B)	EXACTLY match the output that xcdplayer was expecting. And,
[0](C)	EXACTLY match the output that cdplayer was expecting.

[1]cdplayer and cdplay was changed to deal with broken ioctl.
[1]^^^^^^^^

[2]Oops, I mean cdcontrol here.

Ok, is someone going to "fix" xcdplayer?  That is the application that I got
the most complaints about (over two dozen different people complained)
matcds beta version audio support until I got matcd to put out exactly what
xcdplayer wanted.

xcdplayer and cdplay request TOC data differently via the ioctls.
cdplay asks about one track at a time, while xcdplayer asks for the
entire thing in one lump and expects a "forged" leadout TOC entry that
is different than the one cdplay expects/ed.

Oh, and with regard to playing ranges of blocks, matcd has been able
to do that all along.  I had to write an app to test that since I wanted
to make sure the "snarf straight redbook audio" worked.  It does.

I am in the middle of adding support for three more drive types to matcd
and having the definition of what is "correct" change is a bit annoying
and I want to make sure the extra work is really necessary before I start
throwing away code that was working by the two measurements available.

If we aren't having someone change xcdplayer, IMO we should delay all of
these ioctl changes until both xcdplayer and the other audio apps are updated.
There is nothing like a programmer who can't listen to his CDs anymore.  :-(

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)|"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983