Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:10:17 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@flash.net>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape back that works under FreeBSD

I've used Exabyte 8mm drives for years on FreeBSD (as well as some other
OSes) and haven't had streaming problems with them so long as I make
certain that they are either set to a large blocksize or better yet, to
variable blocksize. If you have the drive set to a small fixed blocksize
it won't stream (on input or output). You can check/set this with the mt
command. For example with my drive I get:

$ mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
---------available modes---------
0:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
1:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
2:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
3:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 44 Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0

with mt and as you can see the blocksize is variable. Also, I never
bother with programs such as buffer or team as I find that dump does a
good job of buffering its output for the tape drive.

One further note: In my experience the newer Mammoth Exabyte drives (I
haven't tried a Mammoth2 yet) are _much_ better than all of the other
8mm and 4mm drives that I have used. These have a higher capacity (a
native capacity of 20GB for Mammoth and 60GB for Mammoth2), higher data
rates (3MB/s for Mammoth and I believe about double that for Mammoth2),
and, in my experience, have been significantly more reliable. Unlike
the older Exabyte drives (which were modified Sony VCR transports as I
understand it), these drives have no capstans or pinch rollers and move
the tape faster and with less stress/wear.

Bob

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 08:33:14AM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Speaking of Exabyte drives, I [am trying to :-)]use the 8500 [no
> compression] but..............
> can't get it to stream, after trying many permutations [and a couple of
> days] of possible commands.
>
> I've also erased the [new] tape, cleaned the drive with an Exabyte
> cleaning cartridge, changed the cable, etc.
>
> BTW, an Athlon 750mhz w/256MB ram, AHA1520 card. I realize this is a low
> end card but it has worked in another machine OK. The drive is almost
> unused since new and appears to work satisfactorily other than no streaming.
>
> I've read the dump, st, and buffer man pages and the st page in
> particular documents the driver functionality in extremis [for only a
> user :-)]  nevertheless it is clear that there are many, many
> potentially troublesome variables that it seems to me only a proficient
> C programmer with lots of time and a real good working knowledge of
> things SCSI could probe.
>
> The command I'm using is...............
>        dump 0ub 64 /<dir> | `buffer -s 16k > /dev/tape`
>
> Since you use a DAT at home and are familiar with [at least the Exabyte]
> 8mm drives, hopefully you can point me to a resolution.
>
> Also, since this is a discontinued product, Exabyte is no help, now,
> though they were vigorously supportive when I first got the drive.
>
> Hopefully,
>
> Courtney Thomas

Bob Willcox             Boucher's Observation:
bob@vieo.com               He who blows his own horn always plays the music
Austin, TX                 several octaves higher than originally written.