Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 13:05:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ixokai <ixokai@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading Ports.. final try? :)

I've asked this question on a couple prior occassions, and I
do not think I ever actually received any sort of reply, so,
just a bit frustrated, i'm going to try a final time :)

I'm currently running lots of old software. :) Gnome,
Sawfish, Postfix, and just about everything else I have
installed :) What's the best way to upgrade these things?

For little programs like xmms, I'd just pkg_delete and then
go into the ports tree and make clean install again... no
biggie. But for big things, with lots of dependencies --
say, Gnome, for instance, it gives errors about every
program currently installed, blah blah.

Should I force it to delete the prior version; will the new
version work with these programs, and will they be able to
link into it, or should I just install the new one _over_
the old one?

I'm not sure which is best.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Ixokai (formerly Stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com :))