Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 01:32:29 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: pccard boot.flp for *plain* 3.2-RELEASE

In article <10710.928404651@peewee>
jkh@zippy.cdrom.com writes:

>> JFYI, during our conversation, we identified the following areas in
>> which we'd like to work together in enhancing sysinstall:
>>
>> 1. Put pccardd on the mfsroot floppy and add a few things to
>>    sysinstall (this may already be done by his patches, I haven't
>>    had time to check) which enable its use during installation.

I want to commit it soon because this is long-awaited feature.  I want
to see the patches against -current.

>> 2. Bring in message catalog and BIG5 support so that the standard
>>    installer supports English, Japanese, Korean and Chinese by
>>    default.

AFAIK, Big5 means a coding system only for traditional Chinese widely
used in Taiwan and Hong-Kong.

EUC-jp (Japanese), EUC-kr (Korean), and Big5 (Traditional Chinese)
occupies almost similar area in 16bit space.  Our code can handle
these three coding systems and maybe GBK (Simplified Chinese) coding
system.  I believe that our code also can handle ISO-8859-1 Latin
charsets.  I can prepare French, German, and many European boot.flp if
there are translators for these languages.

The messages and help/document files of 3.2-RELEASE have already been
translated into Korean and are translating into Japanese.  We need
translator and maintainer of Chinese messages.

>> 3. Figure out why I couldn't get the isc-dhcp client to work
>>    before 3.2's release (causing me to abandon the idea of adding
>>    this feature for 3.2) and get DHCP support into 3.3.

We already have experimental code to activate WIDE-dhcp client.  I'm
not sure why isc-dhcp does not work.

>> I look forward to working with Tatsumi-san on these features;
>> they're all long overdue! :)

I'm working on rewriting ugly parts of "2." on 3.2-RELEASE like I did
for "1.".  As far as I know, differences between src/release of
3.2-RELEASE and it of 4.0-CURRENT are very small.

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Assistant Manager