Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:11:19 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, scrappy@hub.org, nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: People getting automatically unsub'ed from -arch

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 9:23 PM +0200 1999/10/12, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> > I know some guys with list's in the three digit k to one digit M range
> > which don't have to deal with bounces at any time. I know it's hard
> > to believe but it's true and I can provide you with names where one
> > can ask for confirmation.
>
>         And Bryan Costales & Eric Allman have hacked sendmail to support
> VERPs, and last I heard InfoBeat was handling on the order of several
> million customers per day.  Of course, they're doing an e-mail merge
> operation so that each recipient gets a unique message, but that
> would just put an even heavier load on the system than a mailing list
> the same size.

That is just how VERP works, every email is unique (at least the
return-path). They must be crazy to run a several million recipients
mailing list with sendmail... Do you remember the time when the
FreeBSD lists were driven by sendmail? The lists were lagging several
hours behind. And I don't think we have high two or three digit k
subscribers on a single list. Maybe JMB can shed some light on how
many people are subscribed to the lists (just ranges).

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch