Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:51:55 +0100
From:      matthew <matthew@matthew.sk>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to install on HP Proliant DL160 G5

kama wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008, matthew wrote:
>

>> Hi, i have an HP Proliant DL160 G5 with two hot-plug SATA disks on
>> hot-plug LSI raid controller.
>>
>> I have tried 6.3,7.0 and 8.0 install CDs.
>>
>> It stops at:
>> acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
>>
>> With ACPI disabled:
>> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
>>
>> Any suggestions ? I have many DL140G3 without any problems.
>>

> I dont have any DL160g5's, but I do have 380G5's that works. But those are
> without the LSI.
>
> Have you tried the usual stuff? Like changing OS variable. Linux, Other,
> Windows... Upgrading the BIOS... Install 6.2 and upgrade to 6.3...
>
> I had issues with LSI and 5.x before. It frozed sometime in the bootup
> process, the only thing todo was to coldboot the machine. But that was not
> a HP, but a Fujitsu-Siemens. 5.x worked on other FS's, but those did not
> have LSI attached, so it was definitely LSI that was to blame.
>
> I have not tried to reinstall the OS on that particular machine since, so
> it is still running 4.x on that one. But it has been awhile, I would think
> they are fixed by now. I will try to reinstall that one to 7.0 whenever I
> get to migrate the data to another server.
>
> /Bjorn

I have tried to install Debian 4.0r3 withou any problems.
BIOS is upgraded and i am unable to install 6.2 also.

When i removed the LSI HBA controller, the boot process has been
completed and sysinstall was started.

So it look like an LSI HBA issue. I have LSI HBA 1064E.

The mpt driver print some error with 6.X but 7.0 and 8.0 doesn`t
complain about anything  but the boot freezes after
acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0, with acpi disabled the boot stops
after recognizing CPU0.