Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2017 23:37:41 +0000
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A readers digest version of transferring a jail from one host to another.

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 at 2:07 am, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:

> What is the simplest way to move a copy of 'J1' on 'A' to a new jail
> on 'B'?  I know that it is possible to move zfs snapshots around but I
> am rather pressed for time.

Hi James,

With ezjail the easiest way to take a copy of a jail and move it to another
host is with the build in archive/restore process.

Old server:
# ezjail-admin stop jailname
# ezjail-admin archive jailname

<Then copy the  archive file to new server (same directory). By default it
will be in /usr/jails/ezjail_archives.>

New server:
# ezjail-admin restore archivefilename
# ezjail-admin start jailname

For more details and optional arguements to these commands you can refer to
the manpage:
http://man.freebsd.org/ezjail-admin

Regards,
Ben