Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:38:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:38:01AM -0500, John Prince wrote:
> > I have to say, I am a bit disappointed in the 4.6 release, as well as the
> > way problems have been identified, and swept under the carpet..
>
> Why didn't you express these concerns for the past few months?

	Numerous users have expressed these exact concerns over the last
few months. When I brought my concerns to Soren's attention, I was given
the same answer you gave. However, new functionality doesn't help users
with hardware that used to work but now doesn't.

	I think that both of you have identified part of the problem, but
you're only focusing on the parts you care about, which is why you're
talking past each other. On the one hand, we have a clearly defined
problem; namely that certain fast CD-ROM's don't work with the new ATA
code. On the other, David's concern about finding all the problems before
trying to work on something that might not actually be the problem.

	So the question at this point is, does enabling dma mode fix the
problem with the big drives?

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?