Date:      09 Jul 2002 18:00:52 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Andrew Thomson <ajthomson@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: evolution autocomplete problem with cursor in subject line

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 17:52, Andrew Thomson wrote:
> I had this problem in 1.0.7 and having just upgraded, in 1.0.8 as well.
>
> I have all tested this problem on a colleague's computer running linux
> and evolution and he didn't experience the problem.
>
> Problem:
>
> Basically the cursor gets left around and seems to wreak havoc. When the
> cursor is in the subject line, and I try and click back into the To:
> box, I can type in the To box however a cursor remains in the subject
> line. The best way to get around it is to tab the cursor out of the
> subject line.
>
> If I don't do this, when the cursor is in the subject line and
> autocomplete tries to finish an email address, the box of options comes
> up but I never get passed that and my mouse is locked and I have to use
> some keyboard shortcuts to bring up a term and kill evolution.
>
> What to do to repeat:
> -- new email
> -- type a contact
> -- tab/click down to subject
> -- type in subject
> -- try and autocomplete another recipient
>
> So basically in my case, I can have a blinking cursor in the To field
> and at the same time, a blinking cursor in the subject line!

This is only one of *many* ways to make evolution hang.

There is no workaround or solution.

I usually am very careful to only use a single metaphor when using
evolution, and then to make sure to give it plenty of time to respond
between each user-interface action.  So, if you prefer tabbing, use
tabbing consistently and wait for evolution to completely finish what it
is doing before you do something else,  This means no typeahead!

Also, be careful to not use the mouse to click too fast between folders
or views.

Patience is a virtue, or else just start using mozilla-mail instead.

/Joe