Date:      Sun, 22 May 2011 07:57 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD upgrade from 7.4 Stable to 8.2

Jos Chrispijn wrote:

> Just read that a save upgrade from my current 7.4 version would be easy
> by performing:
>
> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.2-RELEASE
> # freebsd-update install
> # shutdown -r now
> # freebsd-update install
>
> Are there any pitfalls to this?

I only have done the src methods, but in reading the lists I seem to
remember people saying the freebsd-update binary approach is only supposed
to be used with GENERIC kernels. If you have a custom kernel maybe it will
cause problem? Might be a gotcha to get confirmed by more knowledgeable
persons than me first.

-Mike