Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 16:58:13 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current build is now broken..

>>And yes, it's possible for the older *.mk files on the host to screw
>>you up, but that *also has to be taken into account* in any changes
>>folks may make to the build structure since almost all of the 3.0
>>release/snap builds will be taking place on 2.2 systems for some time
>>to come.  You've no choice but to install 2.2 *.mk files on the first
>>pass and, if this becomes a problem as the result of some change, then
>
>No, it's the responsibility of release/Makefile to be almost independent
>of the host.

I agree. In fact, this is the motive behind my desire to redo the make system.

THE ENTIRE BUILD PROCEDURE SHOULD BE INDEPENDENT OF, AND NOT CONFLICT WITH THE
UNDERLYING HOST.

Unfortunately, when I really had time to work on this, I was "shot down". Now
that I really no longer have time for FreeBSD, others are finally beginning to
"see the light". :-(