Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:44:50 +0100
From:      Matthias Oestreicher <matthias@smormegpa.no>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Smartness-free" web browser?

Am Freitag, den 15.02.2019, 16:06 +0000 schrieb Lorenzo Salvadore via
freebsd-questions:

> > > Depending on how much graphic decoration the GUI uses, maybe a
> > > text
> > > based browser like lynx might serve your needs?
> >
> > Thanks for suggestion!
> >
> > Alas, 3ware uses frames which lunx doesn't support...
>
> I did not understand very well your requirements (my fault: I think I
> lack experience
> in what you are doing), but I can suggest two web browsers that are
> pretty basic.
>
> I usa falkon, which is the new version of qupzilla. I choosed
> Qupzilla/Falkon for its
> simplicity: it always does what I ask without fancy useless things,
> and if something
> gets in my way, I can usually disable it. However it is based on qt5,
> thus it might
> be too complex for your needs.
>
> In that case, I am pretty sure dillo makes your deal: it's awful,
> unusable for any modern
> website (at least, this is my opinion). But it might be perfect for
> you, I think it can deal
> with your web interfaces.
>
> Lorenzo Salvadore.

Off all the smartness-free browsers, that handle modern websites well,
there are only two I can recommend. The already mentioned
Qupzilla/Falkon and the Otter-browser. Both are Webkit and QT based.

Otter-browser is an attempt to create something similar to the older
Opera browser, but without the mail thing. It let's you open SSL
webpages with outdated certificates and plain HTTP as well.
I have used both browsers for a a long time, and they are very good.

Otter-browser seems to be made for you, since "Controlled by the user,
not vice versa" is what the project says about it 😉

Kind Regards
Matthias