Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:39:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Henri Prudhomme <ntwrk_engr@yahoo.com>
To:        irvine@sanbi.ac.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swatch - compilation aborted

--- Irvine Short <irvine@sanbi.ac.za> wrote:

> Henri Prudhomme wrote:
> > I did a portupgrade on all my ports,
>
> Perl too?

Thanks for the hint. Even though the port skeleton for
Perl got updated, /usr/ports/UPDATING told me that I
had to do more to get Perl 5.8.5 working as the
upgraded port.

Here's what I did to upgrade Perl and set as standard
port.

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
make install clean
rehash
use.perl port

I then ran "pkg_info -R perl-5.8.5" and got a report
that all the p5-* ports and swatch were dependent on
the Perl package. (UPDATING's port wizards had a
magical incantation to find and reinstall the
dependent ports, but I couldn't get it to work - so I
used pieces of the incantation). Then I upgraded other
ports that depend on Perl manually.

portupgrade -f p5-\*
portupgrade -f swatch

Swatch worked after that.

Thanks for your nudge in the right direction. There
are a lot of brick walls to bang one's head against in
a FreeBSD newbie's life. I appreciate your help!

> -- Irvine

Henri