Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 04:33:22 +0200
From:      rob frohwein <rob@frohwein.xs4all.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NVidia

Hi ,

May I ask a question here, else just ignore.

I am trying to use the new nvidia driver in XF86 as presented in:
http://www.marcuscom.com/g2g-xfree86/article.html.

My system:
Dell inspiron notebook 8100 with nvidia gforce 2.
FreeBSD 4.4
Currently I use X in vesa mode at 1200*1024
(which looks supprisingly good on a 1600*1200 LCD)

The article says:
goto ports/XFree86-4-Server
make deinstall

But this wont work if X has been installed as a package
from a normal cd installation.

So I did :
pkg_delete   XFree86-Server-4.1.????  (dont know precise version)

And I did the installation from ports
x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server
which installs server version 4.2.???

But then a lot of executables seem to be missing, at least:
xinit startx mkfontsdir ...

The pkg_delete seems to remove too much , or the server install
fails to install tools.

I have now installed FreeBSD4.5, is there a procedure to
install this new driver even if I have installed the X stuff as
a package from a simple cd installation ?

greetings
Rob Frohwein