Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:08:07 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        FRED_LONG@udlp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Failure of FreeBSD to Recognize Serial Ports

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:48:04 CST, FRED_LONG@udlp.com wrote:

>  When you refer to "kernel probe messages", what specifically are you
> referring to? Are you talking about running "dmesg" or looking at the
> boot-up listings during the boot sequence?

Yes.  The dmesg utility simply displays the recorded boot sequence
messages. :-)

>  Also, I tried to set up PPP using a "chat" script based on
> info contained in the example config file "ppp.conf" located at
> /etc/ppp. After failing to get it to recognize cuaa0, I changed
> the default for "set device = /dev/cuaa0" to cuaa1, cuaa2, cuaa3,
> ttyS0,S1,S2, S3, and /dev/modem all without success!

I'm afraid that "without success" isn't a useful description of the
failure you encountered with user PPP.  Did you have a look at the
online handbook instructions for setting up user PPP?  If so, where did
things go wrong, and what error messages did you see?  Remember that
user PPP can be made to log lots of useful information to
/var/log/ppp.log .

>  By the way I am running the following hardware configuration:
> Pentium II, Atrend ATC-6220 motherboard clocked at 266Mhz w/Maxtor
> 5.7GB HD, Sony CDROM, ATI Xpert 98 Video Card and a 56K Zoom/Fax
> modem(NOT a winmodem).

Aaiiieee!  Zoom modems.  They were the bane of my life when I was in the
dial ISP game.  But let's not jump to conclusions.  Let's see where
things are actually falling down first.

>  and I really want to make it work, but this is really
> frustrating. There has to be something simple that I am missing.

Well show us your dmesg and ppp.log output, as well as any error
messages the ppp command issues, and we'll take it from there.  I
suggest you carbon copy the information back to the freebsd-questions
mailing list so that you get the benefit of _everyone's_ experience, not
just mine.

Ciao,
Sheldon.