Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:01:54 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        mij@osdn.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

Jim Mock wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 at 17:15:35 -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> > Today's announcement of the abandonment of Slackware caught me by
> > surprise. All Slackware employees laid off. Slackware was *profitable*
> > for Walnut Creek and BSDi. I think they've lost more in good will than
> > they will gain. That, plus some blatant GPL baiting, makes Windriver
> > pretty slimy.
>
> Why?  Because they don't want to use GPL'd software in their products?
> Wind River wanted BSD licensed stuff.  They'd have no reason to hire the
> Slackware guys (by the way, "all" equals 4 people).  Slackware wasn't a
> part of the deal in the first place.  Go read the FAQ that accompanied
> the press release:

It's more than just not liking the GPL. I don't like the GPL. I think it
sucks. But mere mentioning of the differences between the BSD and GPL
licenses is bizarre. My biggest problem with Windriver's GPL statements
is one of attitude. They bought the *rights* to BSD/OS, so they can do
whatever they want with it, regardless of its licensing. If they had
said "we're going to use FreeBSD because of its licensing", that would
have been well and good. But instead they said "we're going to buy the
rights to BSD/OS because of its licensing." That just doesn't make
sense. BSD/OS is not under the BSD license, and FreeBSD is not up for
sale.

Windriver's actions had nothing at all to do with licensing, but a lot
to do with casting fear, uncertaintly and doubt upon their Linux
competitors.

David