Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:02:27 -0500
From:      "Rick Apichairuk" <rick@logicmerc.com>
To:        <gerard@seibercom.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Postgres Startup Error Message

I had a similar problem before with an older version of PostgreSQL. The problem
was that the rc script was waiting for input from the user. It was waiting for a
password. Depending on how you set up your PostgreSQL, it might ask for a
password on startup.

It might help to post the versions of PostgreSQL and FreeBSD you are using.