Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:42:23 +0200
From:      Aymeric Mansoux <aymeric@kuri.mu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   When to submit regression in a PR

Hello everyone,

I am a FreeBSD newbie. I started to use it regularly for the first time
a couple of weeks ago and at the moment I am happily running
10.0-CURRENT with a custom kernel on my Thinkpad x61.

One of the software that I also started to use a couple of weeks ago
(acme from the plan9port port) was recently updated and this introduced
two regressions. One of them is mentioned but not really solved in the
upstream bug tracker (compose key broken), the other is not (constant
CPU usage). This make the current port quite unusable. As a personal
workaround I used portdowngrade to compile the previous commit.

I was thinking about making a PR for this issue, however I read the
following in the handbook:

> Individual applications that are not in the base system but are
> instead part of the FreeBSD Ports Collection (category ports). Most of
> these applications are not written by FreeBSD developers; what FreeBSD
> provides is merely a framework for installing the application.
> Therefore, you should only report a problem to the FreeBSD developers
> when you believe the problem is FreeBSD-specific; otherwise, you
> should report it to the authors of the software.

My question therefore is: while I will mention these problems upstream,
should I also make the PR? Contact the port maintainer directly?
I understand it is not FreeBSD specific (same issue on Debian Sid)
however it really make the current port unusable for those working on
laptops and those needing to input characters only reachable with the
compose key.

Thanks!
a.
--