Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:12:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Streaming MPEG..

> > What you want is vic combined with vat (in /usr/ports/mbone).
> >
> > At least you should browse freshmeat:
> >  http://freshmeat.net/appindex/console/video.html

Havent done this yet, but I did browse the mbone dir and vic and cat, nice
tools, are not platform independent, as far as I could see. Or is there
any vic or vat for Macs or Windows ?

What I have in mind is MPEG as a massmedium, like Realmedia or Quicktime.
Its much easier, its open, and in the near future we will not have those
bandwidth problems anymore. See what you can do with modem at
http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs106/ and thanks to Uni-Bonn for supporting
this video/x-mpegurl MIME type.

Its a little bit playing with standards, like PAL against SECAM against
NTSC or VHS against BETA, hey, Sony is teaming up with Real now ;-)

In this context: I dont understand all the troubles with VCD. Does anybody
use hardware, that is specially designed for VCD ? It would be so much
easier to just burn a usual CD.

H.