Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:42:46 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.us.freebsd.org

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:10:14PM -0300, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:
>     And the definition of "close tier 1" would be easier with the
> proximity algoritm I described earlier.  How many FreeBSD users really
> know which site is closer to them?  How to check this before
> installing FreeBSD?  I know how to, but definitely, most users don't.

The concept of "closer" on the Internet is not clear. For example, I am
running a tier-2 mirror in Spain (ftp3.es.freebsd.org) and, since it
resides in an University (Universities are well connected to the TEN-155
European research network) I am using a tier-1 mirror located in another
University in Germany (ftp4.de.freebsd.org) as the source. I have *much*
better connectivity with ftp4.de than with ftp.es or ftp2.es. Moreover,
users from other Spanish Universities and research centers should use
ftp3.es as the "closer" mirror for the same reasons.

BTW, I want to thank to Daniel Lang (ftp4.de's maintainer) for permitting
me to use that server as mirror source, and my apologies for the bandwidth
abuse :-)

  JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **