Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:46:07 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam and this list

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> Is it not time to make this list open to subscribers only ?

No. This is *the* published address for help with freebsd. We can't
require subscription to it.

> Get rid of the newsgroup reflection of this list and
> getting the freebsd.org site search for the archives sorted
> out would also be a good idea.

I suspect the people operating the mail<->newsgroup gateway would have
to be talked into killing the newsgroup. Just killing the reflection
will only create confusion.

Sorting out the archives would be a great idea. If they were working
reasonably, you would have been able to find out that your first
question has been asked and answered several times :-).

> I am thinking of putting a complete REJECT on hotmail
> originated messages except for the few personal friends I
> know who use it. Hotmail and Yahoo are almost always the
> From address in these spams.

Since we're back on the spam topic, I've just installed tmda (it's in
the ports tree), as it looks like the first reasonable spam filtering
system I've seen. Not clear how well it would work with lists, though.

	<mike