Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:33:08 +0100
From:      Kees Jan Koster <kjkoster@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Diagnosing packet loss

Dear All,

I am stuck with a machine that shows serious packet loss (about 1% of =
all traffic is dropped). I tried the obvious (new network cable, =
different switch port, different ethernet interface on the machine), but =
the problems remain.

Another machine that sits in the same rack and is hooked up to the same =
switch shows no such packet loss issues. The problematic machine is a =
dual Opteron with FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE from Thu Aug 11 14:05:47 CEST 2011.

The machine is lightly loaded. A MySQL slave is running, but the machine =
is not serving queries. Plus a Munin server process.

I am at a loss where to start diagnosing this. Can you advise me where =
to look? Are there network buffers that may be overflowing?
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
+31651838192

Change is good. Granted, it is good in retrospect, but change is good.