Date:      Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:38:53 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can someone explain...[ PCI interrupts]

John Baldwin wrote:

> [...]
>
> On x86, there are two disparate sets of hardware for managing  interrupt
> signals.  The first is the pair of 8259A interrupt  controllers found on
> all PC-AT compatible machines.   The second set  of hardware is the APIC
> subsystem as it were.  Each processor  contains a local APIC that can
> receive messages from other APICs and  send messages to other local
> APICs.  In addition to the local APICs,  the chipset contains 1 or more
> I/O APICs.  Each I/O APIC contains  anywhere from 4 to 32 individual
> interrupt pins.  Common numbers are  4 (somewhat rare), 16, 24, and 32.
> Conceptually, on x86 a given  interrupt source can be described by the
> tuple (pic, pin).
>
> Simply put, PCI interrupt routing is the mapping of (bus, slot, pin)
> PCI interrupt tuples to (pic, pin) x86 interrupt tuples.
>
> Now, before delving deeper into the specifics of routing on x86, let  me
> digress about IRQs on FreeBSD.  Basically, an IRQ value is a  cookie
> useful for binding a device interrupt (such as a PCI (bus,  slot, pin)
> tuple or an ISA IRQ) to a x86 interrupt tuple (pic, pin).   BIOSes don't
> operate with APICs at all, at least not for handling  device
> interrupts.  Thus, they all use a simple mapping where IRQs  0-7
> correspond to pins 0-7 on the master 8259A, and IRQs 8-15 map to  pins
> 0-7 on the slave 8259A.  All versions of FreeBSD use the same  mapping
> for IRQ cookie values when using the 8259As to route  interrupts.  For
> the APIC case the mapping of IRQ cookies to (pic,  pin) tuples is
> slightly more complicated.  First, the simple case.   FreeBSD 5.2 and
> later follow the ACPI model (even when not using  ACPI) where the IRQs
> 0-n correspond to the pins 0-n of the first I/O  APIC, IRQs n+1 to
> (n+1)+m map to pins 0 to m of the second I/O APIC,  etc.  (There is one
> possible exception with ACPI I'll cover later.)   FreeBSD 4.x is more
> complicated.  The reason is that due to cpl and  spl interrupt masks
> being 32-bit integers with 8 bits set aside for  software interrupts
> (SWIs), cpl only has 24 bits available for  hardware interrupts.
> Therefore, FreeBSD <= 5.2 is limited to IRQ  values 0-23 and can't use
> the simple (and intuitive) model that  FreeBSD 5.2+ and ACPI use.  What
> FreeBSD 4.x does is to map the ISA  interrupts attached to the first I/O
> APIC to IRQs 0, 1, and 3-15.   This just leaves IRQs 2 and 16-23
> available for all the other APIC  interrupt pins.  As each PCI device
> registers an interrupt handler  for a specific (apic, pin) tuple, that
> x86 interrupt is mapped to one  of the last set of IRQs.  If all of them
> have been used already, then  the kernel starts assigning multiple
> (apic, pin) tuples to the same  IRQ resulting in interrupts being shared
> in software because of the  cpl limitation even though they aren't
> shared in hardware.  This is  why your IRQ values are different on 4.x
> than on FreeBSD 5.2+ and  Linux which use the ACPI global interrupt

but if I change the code that does this, I may be able to get my devices that
collide with the 'boot interrupt' to go elsewhere? That would be good..

> Now, back to how routing of PCI device interrupts on x86 actually
> works.  I'll cover non-ACPI first.  There are two cases to consider.
> First, the easy case is that a PCI device interrupt (bus, tuple, pin)
> is wired directly to an individual pin on a pic.  This is often how
> interrupts are wired when using APICs.  If you look at the mptable
> output and look at the interrupt section, this is fairly obvious as  you
> will see entries that map the interrupt for a given pci bus, slot  and
> pin to a given apic id and intpin on that apic.  Thus, there is  the
> mapping for (bus, slot, pin) to (pic, pin) directly.  The way  interrupt
> routing is implemented in this case is that when we go to  route an
> interrupt for a given PCI device, we search the mptable for  a matching
> entry.  We then look up the associated apic via its apic  id, ask it for
> the specified pin, and then ask that pin for its IRQ  (via the
> pic_vector method of the ioapic interrupt source object that  describes
> the specific pin).  When nexus(4) does bus_setup_intr(), it  passes that
> IRQ to the x86 intr_machdep code which uses the IRQ as an  index into
> its interrupt source array and ends up with the interrupt  source object
> for the (apic, pin) tuple being used.  (Thus, IRQs are  just a cookie
> that is the index into the global array of interrupt  sources on x86.)
> Note that interrupts routed this way are hardwired  into the motherboard
> design.  There's no chance for the OS to change  which (pic, pin) a PCI
> device interrupt is hooked up to.

but from my memory, many PCI devices can select between A,B,C and D
so maybe by going to the device and selecting a different one of those
you can force it to go elsewhere...

> For the non-APIC case (non-ACPI still), PCI device interrupts are
> usually wired up to a pin on a programmable interrupt router.  Each  of
> these pins is called a pci link device.  Multiple PCI device  interrupts
> may be wired up to the same link device, and systems  typically have
> anywhere from 4 to 8 (sometimes even more) link  devices.  Each link
> device can be independently routed to a given  (pic, pin) and it is
> limited to a fixed set of possible IRQs.  If  multiple link devices are
> routed to the same IRQ, then all of the  devices attached to both link
> devices end up sharing the same IRQ  (and thus the same ithread, etc.).
> Because the link devices are  independently steerable, this is the one
> way in which the OS has  limited flexibility in routing interrupts.
> However, the way it works  is that you route the link devices, not
> individual PCI device  interrupts.  The table the BIOS provides with the
> information about  the link devices is called the $PIR (since that's the
> 4 byte  signature you search for in RAM to find it).  You can see it
> during a  verbose boot dmesg.  It is a table that maps a given (bus,
> slot,  intpin) PCI tuple to a link index.  Each entry also has a bitmask
> of  the valid ISA IRQs ($PIR only allows for the 16 ISA IRQs) that the
> specified link index can be routed to.  Thus, the way that interrupt
> routing works with $PIR is that when a PCI interrupt is routed, you
> search the table for a matching entry to get a link index.  The $PIR
> code in sys/i386/pci/pci_pir.c basically has a list of link objects
> that maintain state about each link.  The code finds the data
> associated with the link index and sees if it has an IRQ routed
> already.  If so, that's the IRQ that that PCI device interrupt is
> assigned to.  If an IRQ isn't routed already, then it has to use an
> algorithm to pick one, make a BIOS call to route the link to the  chosen
> IRQ, and then assign the PCI device interrupt to that IRQ.

so, is a "link device" a physical piece of hardware or a software abstraction?

> [...]
> PCI-e host bridges is an unpleasant mess.  I think it comes from  Intel
> assuming all the world is windows (imagine that) and ignoring  standards
> (such as MP Table and ACPI) that it helps to author.  (Yay  Intel!)  The
> issue there is that the PXH's include a dedicated I/O  APIC for each of
> the two busses the PXH serves, and the PCI device  interrupts are routed
> to intpins on those APICs.  To handle the non- APIC case, the PXH's
> forward any device interrupts to the INTx pins  on the parent side of
> the PCI-PCI bridge if the APIC is disabled.   The problem is that Intel
> chose a hack to figure out if the APIC was  disabled and that hack
> interacts badly with FreeBSD.  Basically, if  the individual intpin is
> masked in the APIC, the PXH assumes you  aren't using the APIC to handle
> interrupts and so it forwards the  interrupt to the INTx pin on its
> bridge's parent side.  The problem  is that after an interrupt comes in
> on 4.x and later, we mask the  interrupt in the APIC until we have run
> the interrupt handler.  The  reason is that PCI interrupts are level
> triggered, so they won't  "shut up" until the ISR has run and pacified
> the PCI device.  4.x  masks the interrupt because it wants to not run
> ISRs with all  interrupts disabled, but at the same cpl that the
> interrupt was  registered at so that higher priority interrupts can
> still preempt an  ISR.  5.x and later need to mask the interrupt so that
> the processor  doesn't have to keep interrupts disabled until the
> ithread finishes.   Trying to do that would become complicated and quite
> painful since it  would also mean deferring the EOI to the lapic (which
> has to happen  on the same CPU that received the interrupt) and has
> other nastiness  since ithreads can block on locks, etc.  Other OS's
> that use ithreads  such as BSD/OS and probably Solaris/x86 and
> Darwin/x86 probably have  the same issue.  The sucky part is that Intel
> didn't have to do this  gross hack.  ACPI requires that the OS call a
> method _PIC if it wants  to use APIC mode, and the _PIC method is free
> to write to registers,  PCI config space, etc., so Intel could have
> provided a register to  specify if the PXH's APIC was being used or not
> and included the code  to manage that in _PIC in their sample BIOS.
> But, they didn't.
>
> One possible workaround for this issue would be to provide a hacked
> PCI-PCI bridge driver for the PXH's that hacked the PCI interrupt
> routing such that the PCI device interrupts for child devices didn't
> use the APICs in the PXH at all, but used the IRQs that get aliased  to
> (such as IRQ16 on 5.2+).  Getting that to work on 4.x might be  quite
> painful since 4.x PCI interrupt routing code is rather gross  and hacky
> already.
>
> Hopefully this at least answers some questions and gives a good
> overview of what PCI interrupt routing is and how it works, etc.

My head hurts, but a lot makes more sense now.
I'll need to read this a few more times however.
if you made this into a web page, and added a few diagrams that would be
amazing.. also you use a few Acronyms without saying what they are..

Thanks!