Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:36:48 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Direct or indirect libdependencies (using the libintl.so.8 case)

Garrett Cooper wrote:

> > followed consistently. I know that the decisions are made on a
> > case-by-case
> > basis, but for my taste, it is too much case-by-case.
>
> I haven't done portmaster -af in a long time, but unfortunately some
> things aren't working as expected (gthumb segfaults on certain
> directories), so here we go...

In fact these remarks combined show that there are fundamental problems
in the port system, a thing which has been remarked since a long time,
but is regularly denied by many people. Basically it is not in a shape
to be reliably maintained by automatic procedures, contrary to some
concurrence. How to solve the problem, i don't know.

--

Michel TALON