Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:01:44 -0400
From:      "Mike." <the.lists@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When will binary packages be back?

On 4/10/2013 at 3:39 PM Michael Powell wrote:

|Mike. wrote:
|
|[snip]
|>

|> Additionally, for me, building from ports for me has tended to pull
in
|> many, many X-windows support files when they are not needed.
|>
|> Specifically, I run a non-windowing system using command line tools.
|> When I tried to compile Samba from ports, I finally killed the
'make'
|> stage after three hours of compiling X-windows stuff.
|>
|> Nowhere had I ever spcified that the system was running X or any
other
|> windowing system.  Yet, there it was, three hours of wasted time.
|>

|In addition to what Jeff has said, for servers where I do not want any
|related stuff I place WITHOUT_X11= yes in /etc/make.conf. In addition
|make
|config option(s), there may also be some default stuff here and there
in
|the
|Mk files. The make.conf line will short circuit these.
|
|IIRC there may be some exceptions where you need some (a handful or
less)
|of
|some X related packages. Seem to think of things like gd, imagemagick,

|freetype, etc., for PHP kind of things. In these cases, the make.conf
line
|will blanket cover most of what you don't want and you can choose make

|config options that will pull in only what you absolutely need without

|starting down the line to everything X-related.

Thanks Jeff and Mike for the assist.  I'll try both those suggestions.

Oddly, I was not presented with the usual port config screen when I ran
the make phase in the ports.   This is on a new install on a newly
formatted disk.   I thought it odd that the was no config screen, but I
chalked it up to something new in the 9.x versions (it was the first
time I installed 9.x).  It also was the first time I ever used portsnap
to obtain and install the ports tree.