Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:31:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2G SCSI disks?

> Argh, I'm screwed 8(
>
> A couple of systems we quoted have just been accepted.  Both were
> specified with 2G SCSI disks.
>
> Only the 2G disk we were planning to use (the IBM DORS32160U) is no
> longer available.  In fact, none of the 2G disks that we normally use
> are (no Seagate Hawk units either).

Yeah, I know, we they have the same problem at work :(, I don't think
they found anything usefull yet, so they use 4G disks instead...

> Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for reliable 2G 5400rpm
> SCSI disks?
>
> Failing that, has anyone done anything with the new Maxtor
> "DiamondMax" disks?  Or have any suggestions for IDE disks that are
> likely to come close to the performance of an Ultra-SCSI disk?

Hmm, I've looked at the 5.1G Maxtor disk, and I'm going to get one
as soon as my limited budget allows me to, for use as a test drive
for DMA EIDE transfers. From what I've heard it should provide decent
performance in that configuration, and it priced about half of a
equivalent SCSI drive, that should make it a pretty god buy..

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..